'The camera sees more than I can, so I give it plenty of rope and watch what happens...'

5.12.2011

Smithsonian American Art Museum Collection

Forty Minutes in Novato, 1975.

Russian Hill, San Francisco (View of Harbor), 1975

Jerry wrote "Since I shoot instinctively I don't mind if things are a little shaky or if there are blurs or things out of focus. If the picture is holding itself together, then these things are expressing time and life for me.
I can look at a picture, and what I remember is not just me standing there at that corner, but what I remember is getting high while I was taking the picture.
If you kiss someone who is really beautiful, you get off, and the same thing is true when you take a picture.
You should feel as if you're glowing. Sometimes I could swear I was overexposing my own picture just from standing there.
I hope that those feelings come through."

- From the book by Lustrum Press, "Darkroom" 1977.

I found these images in the Smithsonian American Art Museum Collection, along with other photographs already included on this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment